Wednesday, July 22, 2009

My Port Rupert and I

I had the Mediport installed in my chest this past Monday. They put me to sleep for the procedure, which was only about 20 minutes, but we were at the hospital for 5 hours. My upper left part of my chest was very soar afterwards and I can barely move that part of my body. They had made two incisions and closed them with staples. One was on my left part of my chest where the Mediport was inserted under the skin and the other was near my collarbone where they attached it to a vein. From now on I will be getting my Chemo treatments through this Mediport. In the long run it should be easier to do this rather than trying to find a vein in my arm every time. After I am cured I can have it removed. It feels weird that I have this in my chest. It kind of feels like I’m from the future and they inserted some kind of tracking device under my skin. So, this whole week I have been lying on my back trying not to aggravate it too much.
I have named my Mediport Rupert because he will help me get through this and Rupert seems like a nice name. Please Rupert be nice to me! I will use the Mediport for the first time tomorrow and I will let everyone know how that goes. I’m ready for Round 3!


3 comments:

  1. I hope Rupert treated you right today. You know Stewie from Family Guy has a Rupert too! but it's a stuffed bear. I realize you got your treatment today so rest up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. R U P E R T ! ! ! Jason - you have such an amazing attitude! Rupert is gonna protect you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jason, I am so glad you got Rupert put in. Im sure it will make things alot more smoother. Get your rest. Sorry about the Dodger Game?

    ReplyDelete