Monday, February 8, 2010

Back from the Sea...

I am officially in remission! My results from my latest PET scan didn’t detect any cancer. I am happier about this result because this PET scan is more accurate than the CAT scan I had in December. I had to wait a week for the results of the scan and as you can imagine it was a tough week. Thinking about what the results may be was an awful feeling. You try and stay positive but every moment of the day you think about it. I am going to have to do this every three months for the next two years and then every six months for the next five years after. I imagine this first scan was the toughest and it will all be routine from here on out. It was a tough road but Lorraine and I did get through it and now we can move on! Felt like I was out at sea for seven months and finally hit land! The Doc gave me the O.K. to take out my Port! So, I may take it out within the next month. Perhaps I can keep it in a jar or something. You know, for old times sake.

It has been two months this week since my last Chemo treatment and I’m feeling pretty good these days. I was able to get my first haircut in seven months and now I am able to comb my hair and my eyebrows are getting darker. I may let the beard grow for now. I been running and hiking more and started golfing again. I still do get kind of tired but not as bad and I can tell the tiredness is going away. It’s amazing how your body can recover and become stronger from such awful treatments. I hate to say it but I feel that the cancer took a piece of me. I don’t think I feel the same as before. I have different worries and stress that I didn’t before. I feel like I was more worry free before the cancer. Sometimes when I’m out and about I look around and think that most people don’t know how much your life can change so quickly. Talking to different people about my experience almost everyone always says, “If I get cancer I don’t know what I’d do?” Unless these things happen to you we really don’t realize that we will suck it up and focus on being healthy again. I tell them, “I know what you would do” you will deal with it and focus on being better because we want to survive. Sometimes I notice when people see me they look like there not sure to ask me how I'm feeling. Its like if they are not sure if I want to talk about it or not sure if they should bring it up. Please don't hesitate to ask me questions about my experience. I'm more than willing to share them and talk to you about them. Before I started the Chemo treatments a friend who went through the similar experience told me to keep doing the things you love, never give up hope and continue listening to the music you love.

at Priscilla (Lorraine sis) & Toms Wedding 2/6/10

4 comments:

  1. Jason I'm so happy you and Lorraine are getting back to the things you love you look so handsome next to your beautiful wife i will always keep praying for you both its almost like kind of getting a fresh start of life so i will always be here for both of you and i love you both very much.. mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jason,
    Welcome back to Land! I am not a big fan of beards but I have to say It looks good on you! I love you xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look good Gil!! Hope you and Lorraine are doing well :)

    brendab

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jason,

    Thank you for keeping us post in all your thoughts. I love the way you write. This is going to be a New Year of many blessing I've have said. I just cant wait to see what God is going to do in yours and Lorraine's life He is faithful and knows the plans He has for you Jeremiah 29:11. Keep strong! I know you and Lorraine have learned so much from all of this and you can take this experance with you to help other.
    Love you, Anna (MOM)

    ReplyDelete